BE A DEVOTEE TO THE SACRED HEART OF JESUS
WHAT IS DEVOTION TO THE SACRED HEART
The devotion to the Sacred Heart is one of the most widely practiced and well known Roman Catholic devotions, taking Jesus Christ’s Physical Heart as a representation of His Divine Love for humanity. The devotion is especially concerned with what the church dreams to be the love and compassion of the Heart of Christ towards humanity and its long suffering. It is a special form of devotion to Jesus. Hence, the devotion is based entirely upon the symbolism of the heart. It is this symbolism that imparts to its meaning and its unity and this symbolism is admirably completed by the representation the heart as wounded. It is also a devotion of the love for Jesus. It is characterized by a reciprocation of love; its aim is to love Jesus who has so loved us, to return love for love.
HOW THIS DEVOTION CAME ABOUT
The devotion to the Sacred Heart has its origin from the scriptures. The principal text from the Holy Bible which inspires the devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus is the account of our Lord’s Passion and Death. The Gospel of St. John gives the two chief scripture foundations for this devotion.
- John 19:34; where on the cross, one of the Roman Soldiers thrust his spear into the side of our Lord from which there immediately flowed blood and water. The soldier pierced the Heart of Jesus with his lance. The blood and water which flowed from the side of Jesus is a sign of his life with us in the church.
- The flow of blood and water from the pierced side of Jesus also reminds us of our Lord’s word regarding the source of our salvation in His Heart: ‘If anyone thirsts, let him come to me, let him drinks who believes in me’. ‘From within Him, rivers of living water shall flow’ (John 7: 37).
The invocation’ Heart of Jesus; substantially united to the word God’ reminds us that the human heart of Jesus was made one with His divine nature.’ It is to His own Heart that Jesus refers in the Gospels: ‘My heart goes out to my people’ (Mt: 15:31) and’ Come to me, all you who are weary and find life burdensome and I will refresh you’. Take my yoke upon your shoulders and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble of Heart. Your souls will find rest, for my yoke is easy and my burden light’ (Mt. 11: 28-30)
PROMISES OF THE SACRED HEART OF JESUS
- I will give them all the graces necessary in their state of life
- I will give peace in their families and will unite families that are divided
- I will console them in all their troubles
- I will be their refuge during life and above all in death
- I will bestow the blessing of heaven on all their enterprises
- Sinners shall find in my Heart the source and infinite ocean of mercy
- Tepid souls shall become fervent
- Fervent souls shall rise quickly to great perfection
- I will bless those places wherein the images of my heart shall be exposed and honoured and will imprint my love on the hearts of those who wear this image on their person. I will also destroy in them all disordered movement.
10. I will give priests who are animated by a tender devotion to my Divine Heart, the gift of touching the most hardened hearts.
11. Those who promote this devotion shall have their names written in my Heart, never be effaced
12. I promise you in the excessive mercy of my Heart that my all-powerful love will grant to all those who receive Holy Communion on the first Fridays in nine consecutive months, the grace of final perseverance; they will not die in my disgrace nor without receiving their sacraments. My Divine Heart shall be their safe refuge this last moment.