The plan to found our Congregation – the first indigenous order in the Mid-West region Nigeria – was galvanized during the installation of the first indigenous Bishop of the Diocese of Benin City, Bishop Patrick Ebosele Ekpu on November 21, 1971. At the reception following the ceremony, the faithful of the diocese expressed the wish that the diocese should “have its own indigenous female religious”. At that time the few religious women present in the area were Irish missionaries. The Mid-west region of Nigeria was a fertile ground for religious vocations. Besides, the issues that led to the Nigerian civil war in the 1960’s reinforced the need for the establishment of an indigenous female religious group of a multi ethnic background to heal a nation in turmoil from tribal animosity and hatred and to spread the gospel of God’s love and concern for all. This request encouraged the new Bishop to pursue his intention of bringing a religious congregation into existence. On December 22, 1974 our novitiate complex was completed and formally opened. On the 6th of April 1975 the first group of Novices was received and thus began our Congregation.
Our Congregation was founded by Most Rev. Patrick Ebosele Ekpu, Archbishop Emeritus of the Metropolitan See of Benin City, on 6, April 1975. He was born on October 26, 1931. He hails from Unuwazi in Uromi, Esan North East of Edo State, Nigeria.
He was ordained a Catholic Priest on July 7, 1963, nominated a co-adjutor Bishop of Benin on November 21, 1971 and became Archbishop of the Metropolitan See of Benin on March 26, 1994. He retired on November 21, 2006. He is a man of great treasure and very few words with a high sense of discipline and focus; he believes in uplifting the poor especially the womenfolk.